HOME > >

2009_11_17 Ϸ 3
 ۼ:   2010-07-28 13:39
ȸ : 10,881  

2009_11_17_CASN_Kilsangsa Cho Haru Talk

Ϸ

Good morning, everyone, it is good to see you all.

ȳϽʴϱ? ݰϴ.

It is a great honor to speak before all of you today during Cho Haru at Kilsangsa Temple.

̷ Ϸ翡 翡 ϰԵǾ ūԴϴ.

What Is Cho Haru Nal? Why do so many of you come to the temple when it is full moon?

Ϸ糯 ϴ³Դϱ? е Ǹ ô°ɱ?

It is very interesting that in Buddhism, we consider the whole universe as our practicing place and all beings as our practicing friends.

츮ұ ü ҷ Կ ־
ڷ ٴ ̷ο Դϴ

When you look at Cho Haru and all the Shin Jang, all the deities involved in these ceremonies, they are from a very interesting realm.

Ϸ翡 ؼ ȣŵ Ǵµ
̺е ٸ źеԴϴ.

In our world view, we have the ten directions. This ten directions include all beings in this universe.

ұ ( )(ͣ) ֽϴ.
ʰ迡 ԵǾֽϴ.

It includes humans and animals, we can see that with our eyes.

ӿ 츮 ִ ΰ 谡 .

It also includes the demons, hungry ghosts, even lower beings in hell, whom we can not see with our eyes.

츮 ͽŰ Ʊ 鵵 Ե˴ϴ.

And, above the human realm,  we have the demigods and gods.

ΰ   õŵ õ谡 ֽϴ.

So, two visible realms, two below and two above.  We call these the six realms of existence.

ִ ,
׾Ʒ ٷ μ, ̷ 谡 ֽϴ.

Part of the six realms of existence is the deity realm with all the Shinjang Nim.

Ե 迡 Ͻʴϴ.

If we are Buddhists and practice the Path of liberation, then we are mostly concerned with the four higher realms.

ڷμ Ż Ѵٸ ִ װ 谡
츮Դ ߿մϴ

The other four realms are known as Shravakas, Pratyeka Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Buddhas.

װ ٷ ,,,ҰԴϴ.

You may ask, why we have Cho Haru, why do we have deity practice three days in a lunar month, especially during full moon?

Ϸ翡 ̷簡 Ѵ޿ ߱⵵ ,
Ư ϴ Ƹ ñϽǰԴϴ

Deities are also subject to karma, cause and effect. Their karma is created and is exhausted.

ߵ鵵 ΰ ſֽϴ.
ٰ ߴٰ մϴ.

The six realms are very important not just for our understanding but for our well being also.

츮 ظ µ ߿һӾƴ϶ 츮 ȳ ؼ ߿մϴ.

The deities have proven to be very good protectors. This kind of protection is not for your personal protection, it doesnt save you from your own mistakes.

ߵ ȣڷ ߾˷ .
̰ źȣ ƴϰ е Ǽκ
 ִ ͵ ƴմϴ

It protects the Dharma, it protects the Buddha realm, it protects the Bodhisattva way.

ߵ Ұ(ͣ) ȣϸ ݴϴ.

We have to understand that. If you practice Shinjung Kido, great deity power can appear, especially if you do the Yakjang Gae all the time, and read all the names of the deities, thereby summoning them. But be careful ! How do you use all this energy?

̰ ϼž մϴ.
߱⵵ Ͻø,Ư Ը Ͻð ߴԵ ̸
Ͻø ׺е θ Ǿ ū ˴ϴ
 ϴ Ͻʽÿ
!

What do you ask from the deities while reciting their names?
Because what you ask may just happen.

߿ Ͻø鼭 ҿϽʴϱ?
ֳϸ ҿϽô ״ Ͼ ֱ⶧Դϴ.

When you pray, you should not mix rice with sand,
your good intentions with your unfinished karma.

⵵Ͻ 𷡿 е ǵ
е ʽÿ

So keep your mind very focused and very clear so that your intention would be realized, and your karma would not hinder you.

Ͻð Ȯϰ ϼż ǵѹٰ ɼ ֵϸ
Ҽ Ͻʽÿ

A prayer is best when you dont pray for yourself.

ڱڽ ⵵ ֻ ⵵ϽŴٰ Ҽ ֽϴ.

When we practice Bodhisattva path as well as do the deity practice, we ask for protection for all beings.

쵵 ϰ ߱⵵ Ͻ
츮 ߻ ȳ ߿մϴ

During the month, we do Kwan Seum Bosal Kido most of the time.

Ѵ κ ⵵ մϴ.

Kwan Seum Bosal is Dae Ja, Dae Bi: great love, great compassion.

ڴ ū ū ں ȭԴϴ.

This mind is very forgiving, this kind of energy is supportive and very much accepting. It is the best mind for repentance, too.

Ѿ 뼭ϸ, Ѿ ְϸ, Ѿ Դϴ.
ȸϱ⿡ ̱⵵ մϴ.

Deitys mind is not so forgiving, it is very sharp,
like the sword which you see on the altar picture on the Shinjung
Dan.

׷ ʽϴ.
е ߴܱ׸ Ǽ ֵ װ ׷ִ Į īӽϴ.

Deity power is very significant, but lets be very careful and very clear how we use it and why we ask for it.

ſ찭  ϴ, 츮 ʿ ϴ
ſ Ǹ ϸ Ȯؾմϴ

It does not protect us from our own mistakes. It does not make our karma disappear.

ȵ 츮 츮 Ǽκ ʽϴ
׸ 츮 Ե ʽϴ.

It simply protects our best part, our Dharma energy.

츮 ߿ κ ٻԴϴ.

In the west, many people ask, How is it possible that I dont see it and yet it exists?

翡 ̷ ϴ,
ƴ  ֳ
?

Do we see the radio waves? Apparently not. Do we see the telephone waves? No, we do not. But all these work, without us seeing the frequencies they operate in.

ĸ ֽϱ?
. ȭ ĸ ֽϱ? ϴ.
͵ 츮  ۿϰ ֽϴ

You hear the phone, you tune the radio and you know by experience that they work.

ȭ ް ļ ߰ ׷鼭
װ ۿϴ ˼ֽϴ

The ten directions work in the same way. You tune your mind to various frequencies, and they enter your life and enter your karma.

(ͣ) ۿմϴ.
ļ ߸ װ͵ е ɴϴ.

We may think that the altar picture is a beautiful work of art,
but in fact it is a gate, which we open when we chant.

ߴ ׸ е Ƹٿ ̼ǰ̶ ϽǺе ð
츮 ԵǴ  ߼ Դϴ

The Buddha statue is not just a work of art,
it is a reminder of our own Buddha nature.

һ ׳ɿǰ ƴ϶ 츮ڽ Ҽ ִ
Դϴ.

When you bow to the Buddha,  it is not just paying respects to all the Buddhas of the past, present and future, but it is elevating your own Buddha nature above everything else.

óԲ ø ,,̷ \ óԲ
ܼ 踦 帮°Ϳܿ Ҽ ٸ
Ű°Դϴ

You bow to the Buddha, you become Buddha.

óԲ øø е ó ǽʴϴ.

You bow to the Deity, the Deitys mind and energy enter your life.

Բ øø ǰ Ե˴ϴ.

Cultivating all these correctly is the reason why our practice has been alive for the last 2500 years. If we keep our practice with the very clear mind into the future, with the correct mind, it will stay alive.

̷ ͵ ùٸ  ⸣ Ծ 츮 2500 ӵǾ ü ־ϴ.
̷ ȮѸ,ٸ سٸ ӵɰԴϴ.

Our practice in temples and the meditation centers is truly important and significant. But the temple is not the most important place when you live your lives as lay people.

̳ ϴ Ƿ ߿ϰ ūǹ̰ ֽϴ.
е 簡ڷ ϻ ưôµ
־ ߿ Ҵ ƴմϴ.

The most important area is outside temple where you use your mind.

߿ Ҵ е ϻ ư Դϴ.

Everybody can keep the correct form here.

ȿ е ùٸ µ ų ֽϴ.

Everybody can have correct situation, relationship and function in a temple. It is very easy.

ȿ ùٸ Ȳ, ׸ ൿ ֽϴ.
̰ .

How do we keep correct mind outside temple? This is a very important and very big question.

 ϸ ùٸ ۿ ų ?
̰ ߿ϸ ū Դϴ.

There are more and more human beings on this planet, therefore our quantity increases.

󿡴 ¾ ־ ΰ ϰ ֽϴ.

What about our quality? What about our human mind quality?

ΰ ϱ? ΰ ϱ?

We made six times more human beings than we used to have two hundred years ago. Are our minds six times more clear?

200 質 α ߽ϴ ׷ٸ 츮 質
Ȯϱ?

If you look at the world, the answer is a clear no. We have made so much suffering and we just keep doing that to the present moment. It is a miracle that earth still supports us.

ư° ø ״ Ȯϰ ƴϿԴϴ.
츮 ʹ ̼ ֽϴ.
ϰ ִ ϻԴϴ

This world has no beginning and no end, it has no thinking, but it has function.

۵ ٸ һԴϴ.

Only human beings have this thinking. Only human beings think of  start and finish, only human beings think of life and death, only human beings are clouded by ignorance.

ΰ鸸 ֽϴ.
ΰ鸸 ۰ ϰ, ΰ鸸 ϰ,
ΰ鸸 ֽϴ

Only human beings create so much anger, desire and so many ignorant views, that by following them we are near to destroying this planet.  We have to change our views and go beyond the limitations of our current perception. This is why it is so important to open our minds to the realms that we do not see.

ΰ鸸 г ׸ 
װͿ  ൿ ı· ֽϴ
츮 츮 ٲٰ 츮ν Ѱ踦 Ѿ մϴ
̰ ٷ 츮 츮 ¼
׷ ߿ ϴ Դϴ

Buddhism is not a religion. It is a tradition. It is a tradition of walking on the Path towards Enlightenment together. What matters on this Path is your experience, not what you believe.

ұ ƴմϴ. ұ Դϴ. Բ
ɾ Դϴ. 󿡼 ߿
ϴ° ƴմϴ.

You chant the name of Deities, you can experience Deity realm.
You chant the Bodhisattvas name, you experience Bodhisattva realm.
When you have no thinking, Deity realm and your mind become one.
When you chant the name of the Bodhisattva,  then the realm of Bodhisattva and your mind become one.

ȣ θø 踦 ϽǼ ְ
ȣ θø 踦 ϽǼ ֽϴ
׷ ° Ǹ ϳ ˴ϴ.
ȣ Ͻø ϳ ˴ϴ.

Please, do not just pray to Kwan Seum Bosal. She is not out there somewhere.

׷Ƿ ׳ Բ ⵵ʽÿ.
׺ ۿ ʽϴ.

Kwan Seum Bosal is in our hearts. Every heartbeat of yours is a breath of
Kwan
Seum Bosal

츮 ֽϴ.
츮 ڵ ϳϳ ٷ Դϴ.

If your hearing is clear, you hear what people really say. You hear the sound of the world. Then your great love and great compassion function without hindrance, and we can become the true embodiment of Kwan Seum Bosal.

ͱ← ø Ƿ ϴ Ǽ ֽϴ.
Ҹ Ǽ ֽϴ.
׷ ڴ ƹ ־ ۿҼ ְ
츮 Ƿ ó ں ȭ ֽϴ

This function shows in our lives and relationships immediately.

̷ ڴ ۿ 츮 ӿ ٷ ϴ.

If wisdom, compassion and true strength are all combined together,  then we can wake up and help others wake up too. This is why our tradition is so important because it conveys this wisdom, it carries this view into our daily lives.

ں Բ 츮 Եǰ
ٸ µ ټ ֽϴ
츮 ̷ ϻȰӿ õҼ ֵ
شٴ ߿ϴ ϰڽϴ

The Path never gets old. Human beings get old. Views can be outdated, but awakening can never be outdated.

ʽϴ. ΰ ľϴ.
ֽϴ ϴ.

When we practice one mind, then our existence is connected. We experience this connection heart to heart, mind to mind.

츮 Ѹ ϸ 츮 Ǿϴ.
츮 츮 簡
ϰ ˴ϴ

If all human beings could experience that in their own lives and in their own way,
we would have much less suffering on this planet.

ΰ ̷ ڽ  ڽ Ĵ Ҽ ִٸ
Ƹ 󿡴 ξپԴϴ

It is up to us. Our lives do not depend on another being or other beings.
We make it into what it is right now.

̰ 츮 ޷ֽϴ.
츮 ٸ糪 Ÿο ޷ ʽϴ.
ٷ ̼ ϴĿ ϴ.

The way we make our lives, thats the way we experience this world.

츮 츮 ٷ 츮
ϴ ̱⵵ մϴ

Now I would like to hear questions from the audience, from all of you.

׷ ݺ е鿡Լ ޵ ϰڽϴ.

I have to tell you that there are two kinds of teaching:

One is which I am prepared to give. The second is what you need to hear.

ΰ ħ ִٴ 帮 ͽϴ.
ϳ غؿ , ° ;Ͻô°Դϴ.

The second kind of teaching is much more valuable. We could have a Dharma Talk when I only talk,  but that is not so interesting!

° ħ ū ġ ֽϴ.
ȥڼ ϴ ȸ Ҽ ְ װ ̰ ϴ

What you may have in mind and what is approaching on those notes is a lot more interesting.

So I welcome the questions on the memos, I also welcome the live questions from the audience.

ӿ ǰ̴ٰų Ʈ Ҵ ͵ ξ ̷ӽϴ.

׷ ޸س̴ ̳ N Ͻô ȯմϴ.

Question in Korean: ưư  ⵵ ؾұ?

In order to have a strong mind what kind of practice do I need to do?

Answer in English: Do you have a weak mind? If you feel you have a weak mind, you should see what made it weak.

ʴϱ?
׷ Ŵٸ ׷ װ ƾ մϴ.

You know, when dogs get sick, they hide, they dont appear.  After three-four days they come back and they are okay . You see, dogs understand retreat! They disappear, do not move much, do not talk. Do not each much or do not eat at all. Then they become healthy.

̵ ų ϴ.
Ŀ ٽóŸ
ȰŸ Ѵٴ Դϴ
! ̰ ¢ ʰ
԰ų ʰ ׷鼭 ǰϴ

So, human beings are more stupid than dogs. Most human beings do not understand retreat.

ΰ ٵ ûϴٴ Դϴ.
κ ȰŸ մϴ.

So if we return to our temple, return to meditation room, and we dont talk, we dont move, we dont eat so much, then our mind naturally becomes healthy and strong.

츮 ƿ 濡 ɾ ϸ ʰ Դ ϸ
츮 ڿ ǰ źźϴ

Sometimes I look at people walking in the street, and I do not understand how they can stay alive.

Ÿ ɾ  ׻ ִ
ϱ ֽϴ

If they do not practice, how do they return to their nature, how do they regain their energy and clarity?

ʴ´ٸ  ׻ ư
 Ȯ
?

Most people do not understand the significance of real practice, real meditation.

κ ¥ ,¥ ߴ뼺 մϴ.

Many of them believe in a type of behavior. They believe that the traditional Buddhist clothing is a kind of fashion, some old style fashion. That is not true, we all know that.

̰  ൿ̶ Ͻϴ.
º dz м ϳ ġ.
츮 ̰ ƴ϶ ˰ ֽϴ.

Returning to our nature is very spontaneous and very clear, but due to our thinking it seems to be difficult.
So we think too much if we have too much anger, desire, if we just see too much, hear too much, think too much, taste, smell, touch too much then mind becomes weak. Sensory perceptions take energy.
Seeing takes energy, hearing takes energy.

ڼ ư ǵԾ Ȯϰ Ͼ
츮 ư Դϴ
츮 ʹ ϴ ׷ г ĥ ,
ʹ ų, ų,ų,ðų ˰
츮 ˴ϴ
ۿ ưϴ
. ϴ
Իưϴ

In our tradition, we say we have three kinds of energy.

츮 ̾߱մϴ.

One is the original energy, which we are born with, we call that won gi.

ù ° 츮 ¾ ¾ ,
츮 װ θϴ.

You can see it in children. Some children, they have a lot of won gi, they are always moving around, shouting, fighting, doing something.
Other children are not so much active, they read, they walk, they stare at the sky, sometimes they talk, but not so much energy.

̵鿡Լ ֽϴ.
Ⱑ ġ ̵ ѻϰ ƴٴϰ Ҹ ο⵵ ϸ
׻ մϴ
̵ ׷ Ȱ ʰ å д´ٰų Ȱų
ϴ Ĵٺ⵵ ϰ
ϱ⵵ ׷ ġ¾.

The second kind is what keeps the dimensions of time and space, with all the planets together. It is called dae gi, it is universal energy.

° ༺ Ҿ ð ִ Դϴ.
̰ ϸ ̰ Դϴ.

It is all the materials, all the energy, everything in time and space, it is called dae gi.

, ׸ ð ִ Ʋ
θϴ

Science does not seem to be able to describe that fully, all in one line. But light warms you up. Gravity attracts mass.  A magnet attracts metal. Electricity is conducted by water and certain metals. All these are the manifestations of dae gi.

δ Ⱑ ϸ俬ϰ Ǿ ϴ.
޺̵ , ߷ ڼ ̸ ϴ.
Ⱑ ǰ Ư ݼ ˴ϴ.
Ⱑ üȭ ȰԴϴ.

How do we, human beings connect to the universe?  Through the third type of energy called gong gi, or empty energy.  This is our breath.

׷ٸ 츮ΰ  ϸ ֿ ɼ
° ֺ󿡳 θϴ.
װ ٷ 츮 ȣԴϴ

When you watch your breath, you think less and less, and ultimately your won gi connects to dae gi. When won gi, dae gi and gong gi are combined and become one, we called that hap gi.

ȣ ϸ ᱹ ִ
Ⱑ ˴ϴ
. (Ѩ) (Ѩ) ׸ (Ѩ)
ϳ Ǹ 츮 װ ձ
(Ѩ) θϴ.

You may ask, if we are constantly connected to the universe by our breath,
how do we get tired?

츮 ȣ ֿ Ǿ ִٸ
 ǰ ϴ ǹ Ǽ ֽϴ

This universe has infinite energy. How come that we get tired, not only that, we also get old and die?

ִ ֽϴ.
׷ ° 츮 ǰ İ ״° ϴ ǹ ϴ.

The reason is that we lose focus of our breath, we lose this one mind,
and we focus on our thinking and sensory perceptions.

츮 ȣ Ұ Ѹ Ұ
츮 ۿ뿡 ߱ Դϴ

This body is born, and it dies anyway.
But how we use this body in the meantime is very important.

̸ ¾ Դϴ.
츮 ӹ ̸  ΰ ߿ Դϴ

If our minds are clear,  if we are connected to the universe always all the time, then our existence has higher quality, more clear and closer to Buddhahood.

츮 ûϰ Ȯϴٸ,츮 ֿ ׻ Ǿ ִٸ
츮 ֻ μ ûϸ óԲ Դϴ

If we are attached to sensory perceptions and thinking, we are sentient beings.

츮 ۿ ſ ִٸ 츮 ߻ Դϴ.

If you dont attach to all this and you restore unity between you and universe,
then you become Buddha.

̷͵鿡 ʰ а ӽѳٸ
ó ǽʴϴ

That is why in every single meditation school, 
the first instruction is: Watch your breath!

׷ б ϴ ù ° ħ ȣ ϶ Դϴ.

Dont attach to your thinking or whatever comes up in your consciousness,
watch your breath, return to your breath.

 ǽĿ ȣ ϶
, ȣ ư.

If you do your mind practice on top of this correctly, for instance yombul or hwadu, then you refrain from thinking, you and this universe become one and stay as one.

ȣ ϴ°Ϳܿ ٸϽŴٸ ϰų ȭθ ô а ְ ϳ ǰϰ ϳ ӹ մϴ.

So if your mind is weak, then do it like a dog: Disappear,  dont do anything.

ϴٸ ó ѹ غʽÿ:ϸ ƹ͵ ʽÿ.

Do a little meditation practice, come back to your breath, come back to this one mind, come back to this one energy.  When you are clear and strong, you are ready to go.

غʽÿ. ȣ ƺ Ѹ ƿ () ƿʽÿ.
׷ Ȯ ٸ ׷ ȰԴϴ.

Question in Korean:  ȭθ ¼ ϴٺ ȭΰ

ϰ ¸ ˴ϴ.  ʰ

ƹ ٷ ° Ǵµ ̻¿  ϴ ?

When I am sitting in a meditation with hwadu, the hwadu disappears in some moment, I am at peace and in complete stillness. I dont want to wake up to reality and have no wishes. What shall I do with this status?

Answer in English: Very good question! This question points to several stages of consciousness.

Դϴ! ǽĿ ܰ谡 ݴϴ.

We look at them step by step.
The first question says when sitting in complete quiet, the hwadu
disappears.

Ѵܰ辿 .
ù ° ¼ ӿ ȭΰ ٰ ϼ̽ϴ.

This is a very important point.

߿ Դϴ.

Because if you are attached to hwadu, if you are attached to the body of question, you can not become free.

ֳϸ ȭο ϽŴٸ,  ϽŴٸ
װͿ  ϴ

When we start practicing with hwadu, we repeat the question, but when we practice for a few years, the words of the question disappear, but the question remains there.

ȭμ ó ϸ 츮 ݺմϴ ׷ 
ܾμ Ե˴ϴ

This state is complete stillness, this state is peaceful.

´ ϸ ȭӽϴ.

Even if thinking may arise, it remains peaceful but usually at this point there is no thinking.

Ͼ ȭο° ˴ϴ 밳 ¿
Ͼ ʽϴ

But the next step in the question is that the questioner notices is that he or she is peaceful.

ܰ Ͻôº ̷ ȭο¿ ڽ ִٴ Ѵٴ°Դϴ.

When you notice it, and you say,  I am peaceful, immediately there is an I.

װ Ͻð , ȭӴٰ ϸ װ ܳϴ.

Out of that I comes some impulse, which may say I dont want to go back to the world!

°κ  浿 ܼ  װ Ƿ ư ʴ ϰ ˴ϴ.

So what we can see if we follow this story with the hwadu from beginning to end is how to attain clear, peaceful mind, and how to lose it.

ȭμ õ ̾߱ ó ûϰ ȭο   ϸ װ ϴ° ϴ° ֽϴ.

Attaining our true self is not difficult, but keeping it is difficult.

츮 ڼ ʽϴ װ ϴ ƽϴ.

If you have one moment of no-thinking,  that is a moment of awakening.

Ѽ װ ٷ Դϴ.

But the next moment your thinking just starts even stronger than before.

So the biggest question is how do we keep this mind.

ٷδ ϰ ̾ϴ.

׷Ƿ ū 츮 ̸  ѳϴ° Դϴ.

If your I, my, me disappears, then your most important job is not to make it again.

õ ͵ 츮 ؾ ߿
ٽô װ ʴ°Դϴ

So have the courage not to notice that you are peaceful.

ȭӴٰ ִ ⸦ ʽÿ.

Return to the same kind of no-mind as the rocks, trees, rivers or lakes.

Ǵ ȣ () ưʽÿ.

Originally, we are complete, and that is why cultivation and practice can only take away your karma. It cannot make you Buddha.

츮 մϴ ׷ װ ϴ ٻԴϴ.
װ ó ϴ.

So, Buddha nature is not something you get from somebody or you make by some practice.

Ҽ  ٸԼ 
ִ ƴմϴ

Practice only takes away your karma, then your original nature,
which you already have, is shining bright.

ٻԴϴ
׷ ̹ ǰ ġ ˴ϴ

What we return to or wake up to by meditation practice is shared by all beings around us.

츮 츮   ȸϰų ׹
츮ֺ ˴ϴ

A lake does not know that is a lake. But it is a perfect lake as it is.

ȣ ȣ 𸨴ϴ װ ü Ϻ ȣϻԴϴ.

Korea has many mountains. It is a beautiful country, but none of those mountains know that they are mountains.

ѱ ƸٿԴϴ 굵 𸨴ϴ.

They are perfect and beautiful as they are. All of them. So if we return to the same kind of mind, then we do not know that we are Buddhas. We shouldnt. But we can and should function spontaneously as such.

ִ±״ Ϻϰ Ƹϴ. 츮 ̷ ưٸ 츮 츮 ó 𸨴ϴ. ׷ ȵǰ.

׷ 츮 ׿ ڿ ְ ؾմϴ.

This is a very important point.

̰ ߿Դϴ.

If you make I, you have a problem. This is why Buddhas dont know they are Buddhas.

ٸ ϴ.
׷ óԵ ڽŵ ó 𸨴ϴ.

Awakened people lose all concepts, even the concept of awakening.

ƹϴ. ̶ .

In Zen, we formulate this practically as Just do it.

̰ ׳Ѵ ǥմϴ.

Then you take this mind in your everyday life without thinking of yourself, without making I, my, me, you just do what you do for all beings!

̷ ̸ ϻȰ , ڽſ ,
õȻ ʰ ߻ ׳ سø˴ϴ.

Question in Korean:
ϸ ض谡 ?

If we die, is there really Nirvana?

Answer in English: You have to ask your travel agent! (Laughter from the audience)

翡 ž!(û߿ Ҹ)

Where is Nirvana? What is Nirvana?

ϸٳ ֽϱ? ϸٳ Դϱ?

Zen master Joju when they asked him, Mind and Buddha,
are they the same or different?

ּԲ ε ̿Ͱ ϴ,
ó ϱ, ٸϱ?

He said, Yeah Mind is Buddha. 
Then many years later, they asked him the same question.

, ó, ϰ ϼ̽ϴ.

׸ ε Ȱ ߽ϴ.

Joju said, No mind, no Buddha.

׶ ּԲ ̿ ϼ̽ϴ. ó ٳ.

The students were astonished, Zen Master, years ago you said Mind is Buddha, Buddha is mind. Now whats going on? We dont understand. If there is no mind, no Buddha, why didnt you say that many years earlier?

׷ ε ʹ Ȳؼ, ƴ
ó ó ̴ٶ ϼų ٸ Ͻʴϱ
?
ظ ϰڽϴ.
ó ٸ ƴ ׷ ϼ̴?

Joju replied, I said that so that children wouldnt cry.

ּ ̿ ϼ̽ϴ.

׶ ֵ ׷ ̾߱߾.

When you think of Nirvana as something far in space or time, you lose everything.

ϸٳ ָ 򰡿ִ,
ð뿡 ϴ°ɷ ϽŴٸ ҰԵ˴ϴ.

If you return before thinking, right now, right here, this is Nirvana.

Everything else is up to your travel agent.

ưŴٸ ٷ,ٷοⰡ ϸٳԴϴ.

ܿ е 翡 ޷ֽϴ.

Question in Korean:
ֺ̳ ڽ ϴ ڼ ˷ֽʽÿ.

How do we prepare for the death of other people or myself?

Answer in English: The preparation is that you dont attach to anything.

ƹͿ װ ٷ غԴϴ.

You dont identify with anything.

Ͱ θ Ͻ ʴ°.

If you look at the Heart Sutra, the highest state of mind

has no eyes, no ears, no nose, no tongue, no body and no mind.

ݾ߽ɰ ø ̷ ֽϴ: ֻ ڵ
͵ .

If you dont attach to anything,  if you dont identify with anything, then life and death do not concern you. We are alive now. So do your job, live you life.

ƹͿ Ŵٸ, Ͱ ڽ Ͻ ʴ´ٸ
°Ͱ ״°Ϳ ʿϽǼ ֽϴ
츮 ٷ ⿡ ̷ ֽϴ.
׷Ƿ Ͻð ׳ ʽÿ.

When we die, we just change bodies. Human body, other body, on this planet or anywhere else we dont know and it does not matter, as long as you walk the Path to awakening and helping other beings.

ٲٴ Դϴ.
츮 ٸ ִٸ
¾ų
, ٸ ްų, ̳ ƴϸ
ٸ༺ ¾ų ϴ°͵ ʽϴ

But if you want to prepare for death,
you live a very sad life. So do not prepare for death.

ݺ غϽ÷ Ѵٸ ҽ λ ô Դϴ.
׷ غ ʽÿ.

Prepare for awakening.
That is a lot far and reaching than just one change of the body.

ݱ غϽʽÿ.
̰ ܼ ٲٴ°ͺ ξ ʳ ̰ Դϴ.

So, not being attached to anything, not being identified with anything makes your mind clear for lifetimes, not just for one change, not just for one death,  many lives and deaths, many incarnations.

ƹͿ ʰ Ͱ ڽ Ͻ ʴ´ٸ 
ûϰ Ȯ ִ ȻӾƴ϶ ѹ Ѿ
İ ˴ϴ

That is correct practicing, that is the correct attitude towards life and death. This helps all beings whoever they are, wherever they are.

̰ ٸ ̰ ̰ ٸµԴϴ.

̷µ 縦 ϰ ֵ 縦 ϴ.

Question in Korean: ̷ ڳ࿡ ٶ ް ǥ 鼭 ⵵ϸ Ҽ ֳ?

When I pray for my childs wish or goal in future, can this pray be materialized?

Answer in English: It depends on your children. Because no matter how well and how sincerely you pray for your children, if they mess up their own lives, you feel like a failure although you are not.

̵ ڽſ ޷ֽϴ.
ƹ ⵵ϼŵ ڳе λ ٸ
ó ɰԴϴ
. ׷ .

When you think about this kind of prayer, remember the Hwa Oem Kyoeng, the Avatamsaka Sutra.

̷ ⵵ ؼ ȭ ѱ ڽϴ.

Because the Hwa Oem Kyoeng says something which isthe deepest truth:If you want to perceive the nature of this universe, thensee it as created by mind alone.

ȭ ֽϴ:
ü Ϸ ƶ

Your children are no exception, their successes and failures are created by their minds.

ڳ൵ ܰ ϴ. ̵ д
̵ ִ ϴ.

You may pray for their good examination at the university, but if they do not study, they cannot pass those exams.

Խø ƹ ⵵ϼŵ ڳ θ ʴ´ٸ
迡 հ ҰԴϴ

It is true that if you have strong Kwan Seum Bosal mind then your immediate inyeon, your strong karmic relationship can feel that and use that. But you cannot make decisions instead of your children.

̴ٸ
ο 븦 ϽǼ ֽϴ
ڳ ؼ  ټ ϴ

You see, I was born into a non-Buddhist country.
I feel sorry for that. But my parents had some wisdom.

ƽôٽ Ե ұ ƴѳ󿡼 ¾ϴ.
θԵ ο̽ϴ.

When I wanted something, they enabled me to achieve that.

 ϸ Ҽ ְ ϼ̽ϴ.

When I wanted to do some drawing, they bought me very good pencils and pens so that I could experience drawing.

׸ ׸ ;ϸ ʰ 缭 ׸ ׸ ֵ
ּ̽ϴ

When we needed something as a family, there was a way to work for it,
earn what is necessary and purchase it.

ʿϸ ؼ ʿ ֵ ־ϴ.

So, for our children, what is most important?

׷ٸ ڳ鿡 ߿ ϱ?

Besides the love and acceptance of the parents, it is the potential.
If they have the potential, they can do it.

θ ؿܿ ߿ Դϴ.
س ֽϴ.

We talk about inner potential and external opportunity. They are the same.

° ܺ ȸ ڸ ׵ Դϴ.

If they believe in themselves, they realize their potential.

ڽſ ȭ Ҽ ֽϴ.

Besides praying, please tell your children, You can do it!

⵵ϴ ܿ ڳ鿡 ʴ Ҽ ־ ֽʽÿ.

Imagine, you go home after six hours of Kwan Seum Bosal chanting, 
and your child says Well, Mom, I dont think I can do this! 
Even if you say Just do it!, it doesnt
help much.

ѹ ʽÿ. ð 쿰 Ͻŵڿ
̰ ̰ մϴ.
̷ ƹ ʴ Ҽ ־ ص ҿ ϴ.

What is really necessary is teaching your child cause and effect, and the role of mind. Then naturally they understand that they can do it.  We call that inner potential.

ڳ࿡ ľ ΰ Դϴ.
׷ ̵ ڿ Ҽִٴ ˰ ˴ϴ.
츮 װ
̶ θϴ.

The other is the external opportunity like buying pens and pencils.

ٸϳ ̳ ִ°Ͱ ܺο ־ ȸԴϴ.

Many people are worried about that, How do I buy the best computer for my child, how do I buy the apartment or car and so on, how do I pay for tuition

ڳ鿡  ϸ ǻ͸ ְ,
 ϸ Ʈ Ǵ  ؾϴ
մϴ.

At the start it is your job, but as time goes on, your child grows,
it will be more and more their job.

̰ ¾ ̰ ϼžԴϴ
ð ̰ ڶ ̰ ̵ ˴ϴ

The most important part is the potential and the start.

߿ κ ° Դϴ.

With correct teaching and wisdom, courage and compassion, with correct education you can build up your childs inner potential.

ٸ ħ , ں ׸ ٸ
Ű ֽϴ

This potential is more important than anything outside. Then you give the first couple of external opportunities, then in a few years your child becomes independent, becomes a grown up person and will thank you for it. We call that responsibility.

ܺ ٸ ͺ ߿մϴ.
׷ ȸ ָ ̴
س ħ  Ǿ ҰԴϴ
츮 װ þ åӰ̶ մϴ

Besides praying for your child, please make them realize their own responsibility. Then your job is complete.

ڳ ⵵ϴ Ϳܿ ڳ ڱڽſ å ֵ Űմϴ. ׷ ϽŰԴϴ.

Question in Korean:
ߴ Ȳ, Ÿٰ ϼ̴µ ʾҴ Ȳ Ÿٸ װ ұ ϴ ̶  ؾմϱ?

Once you said that every situation and form materialize as I wanted, however if I face situation which I dont want to, is this so called karma?

Answer in English: You have to pay more attention.

Ͻź Ǹ ̼ž մϴ.

Because if something enters your life, then somehow you opened your life to that.

ֳϸ   Ÿٴ   װ
· ޾Ƶ鿴 Դϴ

If you have undesired events in your life, how did you attract that?

ϵ ٸ װ  ΰɱ?

If you have some unfinished karma, which you dont see, that attracts things and people you don t want or like.

ϴ ִ ִٸ ٷ װ ʰų
Ǵ Ⱦϴ ̳ Դϴ

It is a very deep experience, when you start some meditation, and you ask yourself, Why did I have that problem, why did I have that person in my life?

Ͻø ɿ Ͻð ɰԴϴ.
߿ 츮 츮ڽſ մϴ: ׶ ׷ 鿡 ε
, ׻ λ Ÿϱ?

Then you see cause and effect deeper, which you didnt see before.

׷ ߴ ΰ ð ˴ϴ.

Then you see: Yes, I did it.

׸ ᱹ ׷ ʷ߱ϰ ˰ ˴ϴ.

Remember the original teaching: Past, present, future,  all come together in this moment. No exception. Even if it is not something that you would want, you would like, it is like this.

ٺ ħ Ͻʽÿ:
,,̷ ΰ ٷ ӿ ´.
ܴ ϴ. װ ʴ°̰ų ʴ°̶
׿ Դϴ

To uncover this hidden karma, you have to ask the right question.

ִ 巯 ùٸ ϼžմϴ.

If you ask the right question, your mind looks to the right direction, and proceeds the right way.

ο ùٸ Ѵٸ ùٸ ϰ ɰ̰
ùٸ ư ɰԴϴ

To ask the right question, there is one pre-condition: You have to be honest with yourself.

ùٸ ϱؼ Ѱ ֽϴ: ο ؾմϴ.

If you lie to yourself, the world will lie to you. If you sincerely look into your own mirror, it may be hard at first, but it brings you back to reality, then your connection to the world and other people are 100% clear. This is the core of our practice. Without that, it is only an empty form.

θ δٸ ϰԴϴ. ſ

ϰ 鿩ٺ ó ̵ װ Ƿ ƿ ϰ 
Ÿ  
100% ϰ ݴϴ.

̰ 츮 ٽԴϴ. װ;̴ Ŀ Ұմϴ.

Please keep your mind focused and clear, and ask the right question very sincerely.  Then your unseen karma will be clear. Then you know what made it and how, and you can change that. You dont have to feel guilty. There is no guilt here, but there is cause and effect. If you see cause and effect, you can change it. If you dont see it, you cannot change it. It is very simple.

ð Ȯϰ ûϰ Ͻʽÿ ׸ ùٸ
ϰ Ͻʽÿ
׷ ± ߴ ѷԴϴ
 ˼ְԵǾ ٲٽǼ ֽϴ.
å ʿ ϴ
⿡ ˴ ϴ ٸ ΰ Դϴ.
ΰ ø ٲٽǼ ֽϴ.
ϸ ٲܼ ϴ. ó մϴ.

Question in Korean:
ʿ ⵵ ϸ ٶ ־ϴ.
ӿ ־ ҾȰ Ȯϰ װ ̶ ⸦ ٷϴ.
׷ ޵ ̶ ҾȰ ̶ Ŀ Ȯϰų ذϴ ʾҽϴ. ⵵ ߸Ȱϱ?

When I started Kido early this year, I wanted to reaffirm the indignation and anxiety in my mind and if it was true, I wanted them to disappear. The last couple of months, it becomes quite clear for me that they are real but I have not found the way yet to reaffirm or let them disappear. Is my Kido wrong?

Answer in English: Your Kido is not wrong but you may have some science karma.

⵵ ߸ ƴ Ͻź Ƹ ִ .

Do you have to prove that the sky is blue? Do you have to prove that clouds are coming and going?

ϴ Ǫٴ° ʿ䰡 ֽϱ?
̸ ٴϴ ʿ䰡 ֽϱ?

Scientists may want that kind of logical, intellectual proof. But if you see something appearing in your mind, you just have to see it, understand the nature of it, and digest it. It appeared for you, so for you it is true.

ڵ  ̰ Ÿ ϰ.
𰡰 Ÿٸ װ ϰ
װ ϰ ȭؾմϴ
п װ Ÿ װ п ־  ٷ ΰԴϴ

Dont go into intellectual games whether you can reaffirm it or not.

װ ƴ ȮϷ Ӹ ʽÿ.

This is not mathematics. This is not X equals X. It is much more simple.

̰ ƴմϴ. ̰ а ƴմϴ. װͺ ξ ܼմϴ.

Indignity, unpleasantness and infuriation may appear in your mind, for you it is true, because it is there. There is no way to deny it. It is there. You experience it.

,,г밡 е ӿ ϸ װ п ־ Դϴ ֳϸ ٷ ӿ ֱ Դϴ.
ƴ϶ ϴ ֳϸ ű⿡ ֱ Դϴ.
ü ϱ Դϴ

But it is truly important to understand the nature of this experience.

׷ ü ϴ Ƿ ߿ Դϴ.

There are three important aspects of any experience: The first is impermanence, which means that it doesnt last forever.

̷ 迡 ߿ ֽϴ.
ù ° ()Դϴ. ƹ͵ ٴ .

It comes and goes. Even if it appears many times, it will disappear eventually, if you do not put energy into it.

Ÿٰ ϴ.
Ǯ Ÿ װͿ Ŵ޸ ʴ´ٸ
ᱹ Դϴ

The second is causality or being subject to causes and conditions.

° ΰ Ǵ ΰ ο ٴ°Դϴ.

It was caused by something. Even if it seems very complex, it was caused by something or somebody. If it appeared by causes and conditions, it also disappears by causes and conditions.

ٰŰ ߻ѰԴϴ.
ϰ װ  Ǵ  ߻ȰԴϴ. ο ο ϴ.

You have to find out what kind of causes and conditions created it,  and then you also find out what will make it disappear.

Ͻ  ο װ ʷߴ °Դϴ
׷ װ ϴ 浵 ã ֱ Դϴ

The third is what we call non-self, that it has no substance, no existence of its own.

° ü ʴ ()Դϴ

This means that it came from causes completely and it disappears by causes completely. There is nothing remaining.

װ ٸ ǿ ܳ ǿ մϴ
װͿܿ ƹ͵ ʽϴ.

This third characteristics of our experience is what we usually dont understand or worry about. But this is the best news of all. We call that emptiness, or for a better term, dont know.

࿡ ̼°, 츮 κ ظ Ӿƴ϶
ϰ ϴ ̰ ٷ ְ ҽԴϴ
츮 ̰ þ Ǵ , 𸦻̶ մϴ.

All karma comes from dont know and disappears into dont know. Thereby, attaining complete freedom from dualistic thinking, and therefore from the cycle of life and death is possible.

𸦻ӿ ͼ 𸦻Ӽ ϴ.
̰ кϴ κ ϰ ׷Ƿ
 ݴϴ

You dont have to prove this intellectually or otherwise. You dont even have to understand this, because no matter how much you know, it will not be enough.

̰ Ӹ Ἥ Ϸ ʿ䰡 ϴ.
Ϸ ʿ䵵 ϴ ֳϸ δ
װ Ҽ Դϴ

Experience it. Look inside and ask, What am I?

ü غʽÿ. ϸ ΰ ʽÿ.

When you ask yourself, What am I?, some of your karma begins to appear soon, some of it later, but you experience your karma very clearly and directly.

ΰ 巯 մϴ.
,  ߿ Ÿ⵵ ó ſ ϰ ٷ üҼ ֽϴ.

The Sixth Patriarch, Hui Neng heard one line from the Diamond Sutra, Do not attach to anything which arises in the mind. He attained the meaning in that moment, and got Enlightenment.

ɴ粲 ӿ Ͼ Ϳ
ݰ ѱ ׼ ǹ̸ ݰ ᱹ ġ̽ϴ

It became his teaching. When you attain the source of your karma, how it is created, how it is maintained,  and how it goes away, you wake up to this by yourself.

׸ װ ׺ ħ Ǿϴ.
 ӵǸ ° ϴ ٿ ݰ Ǹ
 ֽϴ

So, I hope, that lifetime after lifetime we can meet again, we can practice together, wake up,  and save this world from suffering.

а Բ ϸ ־
κ ϱ⸦ ߿մϴ.

If we have this kind of mind, we will always find our Bodhisattva job, and we will never be without duty.

̷ ø μ Ͻ Ӿ ߰ϽǼ ǰԴϴ

Thank you for your attention.

û ּż մϴ.

ǰ 3
ȭ
û ...  .  ø ִ.  ִ ο մϴ.  Ϻ   10-09-10 16:34  亯
ħ ϴ. ûȽ Ͽ ó θ մϴ.
ɸ ֽôµ Ͽ 帳ϴ.
  10-12-22 18:25  亯
մϴ. 泻 ƺ⸦ غϰ ֽϴ.   11-01-14 20:56  亯